Day 41: I’m Alive, I’m Alive, I’m Alive

May 25, 2017: Hiked Miles 651.3 to 672.8 (21.5 total)

I woke up around five this morning wide awake and was amazed that it was so early and I actually had energy and felt good. I forced myself back asleep until about 6:30 to make sure my recovering body could get all the rest it needed. I have never, ever, ever been a morning person in my entire life. Even as a kid, I could stay up all night, but hated getting out of bed in the morning. I never thought I would change. But on the trail, and even on days off, I wake up early, full of energy (except when in sick), and ready to get up and start moving. I’m sure breakfast is also a motivating factor for my grumbling belly. Even though I know I have a hard day of work ahead of me, I have never been so excited to wake up and go. It’s a great feeling. 

I was so happy to feel better and have an appetite! We packed up and ate a lovely continental breakfast. 

This one was actually pretty good. Oatmeal, burnt toast, watery o.j., and a waffle smothered in syrup, peanut butter, and banana slices. Breakfast of champions. I saved the apple for lunch. I asked Colton if he wanted one and he said he doesn’t eat horse apples. Apparently I’m a horse then. I know he was secretly jealous at lunch when I was mowing down on my horse apple covered in peanut butter.

We got a ride from a local trail angel, Shasta, who hiked from Kennedy Meadows to Mt. Shasta last year on the trail. She gave us lots of good advice for the Sierras and some watermelon. She dropped us off at Walker Pass and we started back up a big hill. 

It felt good to be back on the trail and have energy to hike. Every time I get sick I always say I am going to appreciate my healthy days so much more, but I always forget about it once I’m better. But all day today, I couldn’t help but think about how thankful I was to feel good and be able to do this hike. There’s nothing like five days of torture to really appreciate when things are easier. I thought about how lucky I am to get to spend half a year of my life waking up and hiking all day and seeing some gorgeous views and being outside in nature. Yes, things are hard a lot of the time, but it’s just such a blessing to be able to do what we’re doing every day. 

We hiked up high above the valley fairly quickly and had some neat views. 

And started seeing some much bigger rocks. 

And some interesting plants. 

This flower smelled just like purple Gatorade. I just wanted to eat it. 

We stopped for lunch around 2:30 and had a relaxing break. After feeling so crappy after eating my tuna wrap lunch a couple of the days when I was sick, I couldn’t stand to eat any more tuna for a bit. So I brought cheese, crackers, and salami instead which was much more appetizing. Colton ate his tuna plain and then made a massive peanut butter and oreo tortilla (they’re probably his favorite food now) and  snacked on Cheetos. We both made sure to buy electrolyte water enhancer in Ridgecrest to make sure we stay hydrated so we chugged some of that too. Colton took a little nap and when I started to make some noise so he’d wake up, he sat up and asked if I’m finally ready yet. So funny. 

We hiked another five miles down to a spring to fill up with water and then had our last climb of the day which turned out to be a lot steeper than expected. Luckily, it was cool and the sun wasn’t directly overhead so it made the climb a lot easier than if we would have been during the afternoon. We had some more good views switchbacking up the mountain. 

We finally got to the only decent tentsite for quite a few miles, that already had ten or so tents at it. Luckily we found a perfect spot we could just fit our tent into. We set up and made a great dinner of loaded mashed potato soup and rice burritos. And Colton savored his Cherry Pepsi that he hauled around all day. He tried to make me jealous drinking it, but luckily I hate cherry flavored drinks so I chugged my electrolyte water instead. 

Now were listening to the wind blow on either side of the saddle of the mountain we’re on. Our tentsite is decently protected by a couple trees so I think we’ll avoid the wind rustling our tent all night, but it’s probably gonna be a cold night still. Better have a couple scoops of peanut butter before bed to keep warm tonight.


8 thoughts on “Day 41: I’m Alive, I’m Alive, I’m Alive

  1. I get the tuna thing. I love French Toast till I got sick once and puked up lots and lots of French Toast. It was about 3 years before I could eat it again.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s