Day 136: Knife’s Edge and Packwood 

August 28, 2017: Hiked Miles 2273.8 to 2292.4 (18.6 total)

Colton shook me awake in the middle of the night and said “Can you feel that?” and I said “Yea, I can feel you shaking me.” And he said, “No, the rain drops.” And then I started feeling some drops on my face. We jumped up and rushed outside to throw the rainfly on, but right when we got outside, the rain stopped. Of course. We stood there for a second trying to get our brains to work and then said screw it, and got back in the tent. I used to be a firefighter when I was younger and was constantly woken up in the middle of the night to go on calls and could be alert and awake in a second. But getting back in the tent after being suddenly jolted awake, I felt so groggy and like I couldn’t think right. I must be getting old. Or all the hiking is kicking my brain’s butt. Anyways, the rain held off the rest of the night, luckily, and we woke up warm and dry.

We woke a little after 6:00 to an even smokier sky than the night before. 

But at least it was warmer than most mornings. We started hiking early and immediately were hiking up a hill in our favorite thing ever… snow!

Ok, not our favorite thing. Luckily it didn’t last long. 

We had a ridiculously steep climb up to the Old Snowy Mountain. 

And from the top, the views were amazing, even through the smoke. 

We embraced the magnificent scene and enjoyed the wind whipping through our hair. I looked at my watch and realized it was not even 8:00 on a Monday morning and I am lucky enough to not be running off to work, sitting in traffic, or nursing a weekend hangover, but instead am standing on top of one of the most awesome mountains in Washington. 

We slowly made our way down and continued to walk the ridge known as The Knife’s Edge for a few miles. 

It was amazing. Every step seemed to get more and more epic. 

After we made it off the ridge we ended up in a gorgeous green meadow and kept climbing down the mountain. 

We finally reached the bottom, which of course meant it was time to turn around and hike right back up another mountain. We stopped at a stream to fill up water and I found a new friend:

He was trying to blend in, but jumping at me as I walked by kinda gave away his cover. 

We crept back through the forest which had turned mossy again. 

And after another long, hot climb we emerged on another ridge. 

If you look really closely you can just make out the top of Rainer:

Dang smoke. 

And here’s Horseshoe Lake which looked so refreshing and like the perfect spot to camp.

I’ll definitely have to come back here someday. 

When we made it to the top, we scared some mountain goats off the mountain. They were gone too quickly to get a picture, but I’m glad we finally got to see them to know they really are up here. 

We took a quick lunch break on top and then took off back down the other side of the mountain. 

It was only six miles of downhill to the highway, mostly through the trees so we turned on our audiobooks and had a relaxing afternoon walking down. I’m listening to The Room right now which is a weird, sad, and enthralling book so far. Once you get used to the fact that it’s written in the point of view of a five-year-old, it’s a really good book.

We made it to Highway 12 and immediately got a ride into Packwood. The car was crammed so Colton sat up front and I crammed into the back with my feet shoved up on a massive bag of corn, with empty tin cans packing me in, and a couple kittens the driver had rescued to keep me company. 

Our driver, Carrie, was awesome and even invited us to come stay with her if we ever end up in the town of Forks. 

She dropped us off in town where we ran to the post office before they closed to get our extra food we shipped to ourselves from Cascade Locks with the supplies from Jamie and also a box from home with our new shoes! The old ones were losing life quickly.

We decided to pitch our tent at the rv park since the few hotel rooms left in town were pretty expensive. No bed tonight… sigh. 

We spent the afternoon setting up our tent, running to the grocery store to get shampoo and laundry detergent, showering, doing laundry, back to the store for groceries, and then back to the rv park to sort through all our food. We even ran into a couple of our friends who we hadn’t seen since the Sierras! I love when this stuff happens. 

We finally finished all our chores around 8:00 and went to one of the two restaurants in town for dinner. 

It was packed. We were starving by the time our food arrived, but it did give me a chance to catch up on my blog postings. 

We scarfed our food down and enjoyed the small town vibe of the place. 

After dinner we made our way back to the rv park and after moving our tent away from the bright bathroom light it was now illuminated under, we crawled in our home. Or tent. It’s basically our home now. Colton is passed out, and I’m surprisingly not tired so I’m blogging and trying to catch up with the world. Tomorrow we’re back on the trail snd headed straight towards all the fires! Our favorite!


4 thoughts on “Day 136: Knife’s Edge and Packwood 

  1. So amazing, Knife’s Edge, kinda makes the trails I’ve hiked boring. Not really, any trail is amazing, Your pictures make me wanna drive up to Washington and do Washington’s section of the PCT.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s